A dull knife can ruin not just the cutting process but also the overall cooking outcome. This holds true to barbecuing.
Whether you’re a newbie or a pro in the grilling world, you need a quality BBQ knife set for a successful barbecue.
In this article, I will give you a list of the best BBQ knife sets, including the different types of knife sets, the things you should look for when buying a BBQ knife set, and some safety tips when using these knives.
Our Top Pic Dalstrong Knife Set
Our top pick is Dalstrong because they produce outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and they use premium materials for their knives.
Over 450,000 chefs have switched to Dalstrong, and that should tell you how great these knives truly are.
This set is perfect for BBQ as it gives you the right tool for the job whether you’re slicing veggies, carving meats, or peeling fruits.
Demand is high for Dalstrong BBQ Knife Sets right now, so get your hands on yours and have them shipped to your doorstep from Amazon today.
Top 7 Best BBQ Knife Sets
In a hurry? Check out our top 7 BBQ Knife Sets! Keep reading to discover more about our top picks.
Now that I’ve covered the basics of BBQ knife sets, including the factors to consider when buying one, it’s time to see which ones made it to my list of the best BBQ knife sets.
Pick #1: Dalstrong
This 18-piece BBQ knife set helps you accomplish every essential BBQ activity — slicing veggies, carving meats, and peeling fruits.
The set includes a carving knife, chef’s knife, Nakiri knife, bread knife, fillet knife, peeling knife, and a wooden block.
It also comes with a honing tool, so you can keep everything sharp.
Whether you’re a home cook, a butcher, or an experienced chef, this knife set will meet your needs.
The knife set is made of German blade steel that is stain-resistant.
The handle also offers a well-balanced height with its length giving you excellent control.
Over 450,000 chefs have switched to Dalstrong and they have over 1,000 5-star reviews on Amazon.
This is thee knife set you should have if you take grilling and/or cooking seriously.
- Includes Wood Block
- Beautifully Designed
- Incredibly Razor Sharp
- High-Carbon German Steel
- Top Overall Pick
- There’s no rubber on the handles, so it took a while to remember not to grab them with wet hands.
Pick #2: Hast
If aesthetics are important to you when choosing a knife set, then look no further than Hast. They’ve won awards for their minimalistic, modern designs. But they’re more than just a pretty face.
When testing these knives out, they were lightweight and very easy to control. The ergonomic handle felt like it was made to fit my hand.
The blades are ridiculously sharp and saying razor-thin may be an insult to how thin the blades really are, which has been great for slicing veggies nice and thin.
I could rave all day about Hast, but the only thing that has them at number is the price tag. The 7-piece set will run just north of $600. For a luxurious set like these, that’s on par.
But if you’re buying your first set of knives, that may come as a bit of a shock.
- Sleek, Modern Design
- Ergonomic Handle Fits Perfectly In Your Hand
- Every Detail Is Flawless
- Doesn’t come with dedicated steak knives
- The price tag may be shock if you’re buying your first knife set
Pick #3: Farberware
If you’re looking for an entry-level set of knives that won’t break the bank, these are perfect.
Not only do they cost less than $50, they look pretty good on the counter as well.
This 15 piece set comes with:
- 6 steak knives
- 3.5″ Paring Knife
- 4.5″ Utility Knife
- 5″ Santoku Knife (similar to a chef knife)
- 5″ Serrated Utility Knife
- 6″ Slicing Knife
- 8″ Chef Knife
- All-purpose shears
- A Sharpening Steel
- Nice graphite finish block to store them in
- It comes with a lot and is cheap, so what’s the catch?
When I compare them with higher-end knives, you can definitely feel the difference. They don’t make me feel like a professional chef the way some others do.
They’re not quite as sharp or fancy as the high-end knives on this list, but they’re plenty sharp for most BBQ projects.
If you’re wanting a decent set of knives at an affordable price, these are a good buy.
- Many Different Kitchen Tools
- Less Than $50
- Great For Beginners
- They’re not as fancy or quite as sharp as higher-end knives
- You have to handwash as others have noticed rust after putting them through the dishwasher
Pick #4: Mercer Culinary
Made of premium Japanese stainless steel, this 8-piece knife set is known for its durability and resistance to stain and corrosion.
A sharpening rod is also included, making it easier to maintain the tools, especially the edge of the blade.
With a razor-sharp edge, the Mercer Culinary M21820 knife set allows for smooth and effortless deboning and cutting of pork and steak.
This BBQ knife set also comes with a roll bag so you can store the knives and other kitchen tools safely.
The handle is made of Santoprene to ensure comfort and Polypropylene to facilitate a strong grip.
- Stain and Corrosing Resistant
- Easy Maintenance
- Requires washing by hand
- Lightweight handle, so you may have to apply more force
Pick #5: Ross Henery
You may be new to grilling or barbecuing, but the Ross Henery Professional Chef Knife Set can turn you into a BBQ expert.
Made of high-carbon stainless steel, this ten-piece set provides rust and corrosion protection, keeping the sharpness of blades.
It also comes with knurled grips, allowing for strong control when you’re cutting meat or even preparing complex meals.
With a protective cover for each knife and a roll-up case, you can safely carry it for outdoor cooking.
- High Carbon, Triple Hardened Steel
- Corrosion Resistant
- Durable Roll-Up Carrying Case
- The protective covers are a bit loose, so be extra careful when they’re out of the roll.
Pick #6: Shun
This may be a 5-piece BBQ knife set only, but it gives you every knife you need for a successful grilling outcome.
The set includes an 8” chef’s, a 6″ utility knife, and a 3.5″ paring knife – plus honing steel. This all comes in a sleek wooden block.
Abundant in carbon and vanadium, the Japanese steel helps keep the edge sharp and achieve a clean cut.
Made of PakkaWood, the handles offer protection from heat and moisture.
From slicing, dicing, trimming, to deboning meat, these knives will do the job for you.
- High-Quality Steel Design
- Full Composite Tang Blade
- Handcrafted In Japan
- Top High End Pick
- Honing steel does not have the same PakkaWood handle
Pick #7: OOU
This 15-piece knife set is affordable and suitable for home chefs with different skill levels.
Each knife comes with high-carbon steel, making it corrosion-resistant.
They’re available with a patented black oxide layer, contributing to their elegant look and resistance to rust.
For accurate results when cutting your food, these knives offer extra-sharp blade technology.
In this knife set, you get a chef’s knife, slicing knife, bread knife, utility knife, and several steak knives.
If you’re not a fan of woodblocks, you will like its transparent acrylic BBQ knife block.
- Shock and Scratch Resistant
- Extremely Sharp
- Easily Cleaned With Tap Water
- Great Budget Set
- If you like the classic look and feel of a wood block, you may be disappointed in the clear acrylic block.
What Is A Knife Set For Your BBQ?
If professional culinarians treat their knife sets as their babies, you should also have a BBQ knife set as your grilling companion.
BBQ knife sets allow you to slice, chop, or dice no matter what meat or protein you’re smoking or grilling.
The quality of these BBQ knife sets helps your BBQ look as good as it tastes.
More importantly, using the right BBQ knife ensures everyone’s safety.
What Are the Different Types of Knife Sets for BBQ?
BBQ knife sets are one of the essential elements for your barbecue session, apart from meat and fire.
Now, the three main types of knife sets for BBQ will cover your slicing and other BBQ needs. These include:
- Slicing knife
- Boning knife
- Chef’s knife
What is a Slicing Knife?
Slicing knives include long blades that are slightly curved at the tip, with some possessing a rounded end.
You can also find slicing knives that have hollows in the blade.
These hollows facilitate smooth movement and help prevent splitting.
Slicing knives are useful for cutting meat before serving and slicing large cuts of brisket.
The outcome is great, without any rough edges.
What is a Chef’s Knife?
Used for grilling and any other kitchen purposes, the chef’s knife is perfect for slicing, cutting, chopping, and trimming.
This knife is versatile, well made, and has thicker construction than other types of knives, with a blade that is almost triangular.
Because it has a deeper blade, the chef’s knife is suited for cutting thicker meat and other items.
What is a Boning Knife?
Boning knives contain thin and flexible blades with sharp points.
A safe and secure grip while slicing down is also made possible with the boning knife’s thick handle.
Thus, its design allows for clean and precise cuts.
Boning knives may have been intended for removing bones, like when you butterfly a leg of lamb, or are removing small bones present in chicken and fish.
However, these are also perfect for trimming down fats and tidying up different meat.
From getting rid of fishbone, trimming ribs, tidying up briskets, and more, you will need a boning knife.
Other Useful Types of Knives?
Having a boning knife, a slicing knife, and a chef’s knife can get the work done. But other tools can also prove beneficial for you.
Kitchen shears, which look like a heavy-duty pair of scissors, are useful when trimming chicken and tidying up fat.
The cleaver has a thick and heavy blade, making it perfect for breaking up meat fibers.
Because of its thick blade, you can use it for handling tougher meats that only need some chopping instead of tidying them up and trimming.
What Do You Look For When Buying a BBQ Knife Set?
When buying a grilling knife or BBQ knife set, I consider the following factors to make sure I am choosing the best BBQ knife set that can help make my barbecue sessions a success:
Before making your purchase, find out the material used for the blade because each has pros and cons.
While knife blades are composed of various materials, the main types include titanium, stainless steel, carbon steel, and ceramic.
1. Titanium Blade
- One of the most powerful materials that provide corrosion protection is titanium.
- With its dark silver color, titanium can be easily identified. Kitchen knives, diving knives, and pocket knives use this material for its non-magnetic and durable characteristics.
- Compared to other construction materials, titanium blades are softer and less sharp. However, sometimes, these are coated with other materials.
2. Stainless Steel Blade
- Because they are durable and corrosion-resistant, stainless steel blades are one of the most well-known construction materials.
- A metal alloy, stainless steel contains chromium, nickel, iron, carbon, and molybdenum.
3. Carbon Steel Blade
- These blades were the most common before stainless steel became popular.
- Carbon steel blades are even sharper than stainless steel blades.
- However, while stainless steel contains 11% chromium, carbon steel doesn’t have chromium.
- As a result, it is prone to corrosion and requires careful cleaning immediately after using it.
4. Ceramic Blade
- Ceramic blades are a strong, non-metallic material that provides complete corrosion resistance.
- The material also offers long-lasting sharpness.
- It is made of zirconium oxide, allowing a high hardness level — even higher than steel.
- However, ceramic blades easily crack when they fall. Sharpening is also only possible with special tools.
You may prefer a different length of knife depending on your personal use.
However, the length of typical culinary knives ranges from 6 to 14 inches or 15 to 36 centimeters.
For professional knives, like the chef’s knife, the blade is often eight inches, with a width of 1.5 inches or 3.8 centimeters.
When choosing the best grill knife or BBQ knife set, consider its balance as well.
Are you uncomfortable using a BBQ knife with a heavy handle or blade?
If you get an unbalanced knife, you may end up working more than expected, thus defeating the purpose of using a quality knife for efficiency.
Besides the weight of the handle or blade, consider the side-to-side balance as well.
See if the BBQ knife does not feel unstable if you push down on the blade.
A knife handle with poor quality can cause accidents. That is why you should choose a handle with a great grip.
Does it keep your hands relaxed while you’re trying to cut?
Does it slip in your hands?
Rubber or hard plastic handles may work for some, while others may prefer a wooden handle.
Pick what’s most comfortable for you and what works in your hands.
When buying the best grilling knife or BBQ knife set, I also consider the price.
The pricing is often reflective of what the product can offer.
However, some items are cheaper but still offer superior quality. BBQ knife sets at the higher price range may also include extra features. Consider your budget and needs when choosing the right BBQ knife set.
Whether you’ve just started hosting BBQs or have been doing it for a while now, you will most likely agree what BBQ knives must have:
- Full Tangs,
- Sharp Tips,
- Heavy Bolsters,
- And Thick Spines
In case there’s a missing design feature, check for anything that replaces the function.
For example, you may see a finger guard on the handle rather than bolsters.
Note that high-quality BBQ knives have appropriate and practical designs.
If you’re a sucker for add-ons, then grab them!
For instance, a separate storage container for your most valued knives would come in handy — these can keep your knives from wearing out, prolonging their lifespan.
How To Maintain Your Grill Knives?
Aside from prioritizing everyone’s safety when using knives, it’s also important to take good care of your BBQ knife sets.
No matter how good the quality is, the knife won’t last if you don’t maintain it well.
To keep your BBQ knives in the best condition, follow the tips I have prepared below:
Avoid putting your knives in a sink that contains soapy water. The dishwasher can ruin the quality of your knives, given the heat and
Before cutting with your BBQ knives, use a sharpening steel.
When cutting, do it in a straight and smooth motion and avoid twisting or bending the blade.
To maintain your grilling knife’s sharpness, use a wood or bamboo cutting board. Others may prefer a plastic cutting board. Whether you’re using bamboo or plastic cutting boards, make sure you sanitize them so bacteria won’t be transferred from raw meat to other food.
When you see a loose screw on your grill or smoker, do not make your knife a screwdriver. It might be too tiring sometimes to get inside the house just to get the right tool, but using your knives as multipurpose tools can damage them.
Before putting your knife in its designated storage space, dry it carefully. Use a paper towel instead of dishcloths because moisture may be left and keep your knives damp, making them vulnerable to rust.
Clean your knife immediately when you see rust on the blade. Doing so will prevent further spread. For heavier rust, you can use a rust eraser or any rust cleaner.
How To Sharpen Your Knives?
Even a high-quality BBQ knife needs to be sharpened and maintained.
To help sharpen your knives well, you can use a honing steel, stone, and pull-through sharpener.
- When you sharpen your knife with a honing steel, make sure to position them well.
- Touch your knife’s heel to the steel’s top at a 22-degree angle while applying little pressure.
- Following a left-to-right motion, slide the knife down the steel. Then, do the same on the other side.
Japanese Water Stones
- Japanese water stones are highly recognized for providing superior sharpening quality.
- As the name suggests, you have to soak it in water for 5 to 10 minutes before using it.
- Place the stone on a non-slip surface. Then, put the blade flat against the water stone.
- Raise the spine to a 10 to 15-degree angle.
- While one hand is on the knife handle and the other is on top of the blade, move your knife up and down the water stone.
- A slurry will form during the sharpening process.
- You can easily rinse it off or leave it on the stone for a finer effect.
- Remember to rinse the blade afterward before you proceed to a different grit.
- Pull-through sharpeners are lightweight and easy to use.
- Simply pull your knife through the sharpener from its base to the tip.
- You won’t have to apply too much pressure because the sharpener will do the job for you.
- However, pull-through sharpeners are suitable for old knives.
- If you invest in a high-quality BBQ knife, you might not have to use this kind of sharpener.
Final Thoughts on BBQ Knives
While each of us has different preferences when it comes to BBQ knives, some BBQ knife sets are simply the best with high-quality material, sharpness, and overall performance.
Get one of the best BBQ knife sets I have shared above and enjoy a satisfying grilling experience.
But remember…safety first.
It’s important to keep yourself, your family, your BBQ station, and the environment safe when using knives.
To ensure safety, follow the tips I have provided below:
Pick the Right Knife for the Task
- Whether you’re in your kitchen or doing some outdoor cooking, using the right knife for your task is vital for your safety.
- Given that you have different knife sets, you may end up getting overwhelmed and picking the wrong knife for the job.
- To avoid this mistake, consider the blade size.
- Make sure the knife is proportional to the meat or food you’re cutting.
- If you’re dealing with a large cut of meat, use a chef’s knife instead of a small paring knife.
Use Sharp Knives
- Using a dull knife is more dangerous than using a sharp knife.
- If the blade is dull, you would have to apply more force to cut meat, increasing the chance of slipping and injury.
- But if your knife is sharp, cutting is smoother and easier, reducing the risk of slips and injuries.
- Usually, the angle of knife blades on each side of the cutting edge is 20 degrees.
Learn To Cut Properly
- To use barbecue knives and other types of knives safely, you need to learn the proper cutting techniques.
- Otherwise, the quality of your food will be affected, there will be risks of injury, and your kitchen tools may get damaged.
- When cutting meat and other ingredients for your BBQ session, make sure to use a cutting board. Doing so will ensure consistent cutting.
- A loose or unstable cutting board can make your knives slip, causing you harm.
- Also, ensure a secure grip on the knife handle.
- Then, to gain more control, grasp the sides of the knife blade near the handle with your pointer finger and thumb.
- It’s also necessary to cut away from your body to avoid accidents in case it slips.
Focus on What You’re Cutting
- Apart from knowing the basic cutting techniques, make sure to give your full attention when cutting meat and other ingredients.
- Too many distractions can make your cutting process a disaster and even cause injuries.
- Keeping your eyes on the blade will let you see if your knife is about to slip.
Clean Your Knives Regularly
- Another crucial safety tip when using BBQ knives and other kinds of knives is maintaining cleanliness.
- Poor hygiene can cause contamination and foodborne diseases.
- Clean your knives immediately after using them.
- Do not leave them on your cutting board or in a sink with soapy water.
- Keeping your knife clean promotes a secure grip.
- The handle or blade shape of some knives may cause them to collect food residue. To prevent the possible buildup of food, check the knives thoroughly before and after you wash them.
Store the Knives Properly
- Having designated storage space for your knives facilitates a safe and organized knife routine.
- You may think putting them in a drawer will already do the job, but it’s not safe enough.
- Securing a storage space can prevent accidents and make your knives last longer.
Drop a comment below and let me know which BBQ knife set you ended up getting!